Over twenty years old, Sister Yang serves as a leader of a fellowship group comprising of nearly 20 catechists in a church of Changchun. When came to the interview, she felt quite happy, stopped what she was doing and started to tell us about her journey of faith.
Sister Yang went to church with her mother when she was just a little girl. However, she did not understand the meaning of faith or her relationship with Jesus Christ. Being taken by her mum to church every Sunday was the only thing she knew.
She first experienced God's wonders when she was in senior high school. She suffered from Sphagitis because of a heavy cough. Since her condition did not improve at all after taking plenty of medicine, her mother told her to pray to God for healing. Not quite convinced, she prayed to God and asked Him for His healing and then she recovered soon after. She was touched by her own experience and started to believe that there truly is an almighty God.
In university, she gained some spiritual growth. However, she still did not understand God's love or Christ's salvation. She always thought that these things had nothing to do with her. With a deep sigh, Miss Yang recalled, "I became a Christian when I was little, but for many years I did not really understand the Bible or the meaning of worshipping God in spirit and in truth."
Later, Sister Yang joined a fellowship group in her university. She started to read the Bible, pray and listen to sermons with other brothers and sisters, as well as practice her belief in her daily life. One year later, from a catechist, she became a Christian. But she still was not satisfied since she felt some part of her spirit was chained. She said, "I wanted to be released, I desired freedom, so I often prayed to God and asked God to set me free in truth." She did not stop her prayer. Step by step, God led her to understand the meaning of salvation and the way of achieving true freedom, namely, confessing her sins and accepting salvation from Jesus Christ.
"I got my first job after graduating from university. The job made me very tired." Sister Yang confessed that sometimes she wanted to escape when faced with her work. She said, " At that time I was determined to stop working and I just wanted to stay in church to pray and read the Bible. But resigning from the job was not very easy. I prayed a short prayer for God's help on the bus on my way to my company." That very same day, she resigned successfully and got her cash pledge back from her company. This experience firmed up her faith in God. From then on, her journey of faith started.
Sister Yang went to church with the purpose of escaping from working and soon, this purpose was revealed in the church. She was willing to listen to sermons and pray, but never thought to run for God's kingdom. At this time, the leader of her fellowship group recommended her a CD of sermons about the book of Acts. She listened to the sermons almost every day and was deeply moved by Holy Spirit. She said to the Lord, "Since you are the way, truth, and life, is there anything that I can't seek from you?" After a whole night of prayer with tears, Miss Yang became resolutely determined to dedicate herself to full-time evangelism.
"I really didn't do anything. I'm just an imitation of Jesus Christ." Sister Yang said humbly," I have accomplished 1% of the cause and the other 99% has been accomplished by the Lord. During the process, the Lord has made me grow continually and know more about His mind and will. I have walked through the valley of the shadow of death; I have experienced deep spiritual despair. However, God ransomed me with his great love and comforted my broken heart with his merciful hands."
Thinking about God's deeds, a cheerful smile was all over Sister Yang's face." The Lord's love is so living. He even died for me! Do I still need to doubt his love? I owed God a debt—a debt of love. I will repay the debt with all my life."