Nowadays, teenagers can have the right to have abortion, and the abortion peak appears before a new semester of pregnancy. Statistics from National Population and Family Planning Commission revealed that there are at least 13 million abortions performed in China, among them are teenagers, accounting for the half. These numbers does not include the 10 million abortions done with pills and those done in unregistered private clinics. The high number ranks the first in the world.
Reason why abortion is growing
1. A lot of TV series, entertainment news and beauty contests are in favor of network pornography and extramarital love. Moreover, sexual intercourse take place in universities, high schools and middle schools.
2. Many juveniles who are away from the supervision of their parents during the long holidays are easily seduced into the places for adults. A large percentage of parents migrate into big cities for employment and some of their children pursue sexual love due to a lack of responsibility, resulting to the ruination of their futures.
3. There is inadequate sex education by parents, schools and communities.
4. The moral education in society has been alienated from the "advanced" medical measures and "tolerant" society.
The reflections we should have according to the Bible
The key theological reason for anti-abortion is that a human being is made in God's own image since the conception (Genesis 1:27) and a man's value is granted by God at the conception point, not as a result developed by the fetus.
We can admit that a fetus is regarded as a whole person based on the Bible:
1. A fetus is also called "baby" that are used to describe an infant and child (Luke 1:41,44, 2:12, 1 Kings 3:17).
2. A fetus is created by God (Psalm 139:13) just as Adam and Eve were made in the image of God (Genesis 1:27).
3. It enjoys the same punishment guarantee as that of adults have when facing injury or death (Exodus 21:22).
4. Christ had been human when he was conceived in the womb of Mary (Luke 1:26-27).
5. God's image includes "male and female" characteristics (Genesis 1:27), but divided into different sexes that has been determined at the conception, which is a truth in science.
6. It has personality, like sin (Psalm 51:5) and joy (Luke 1:44), which are human qualities.
7. The Bible uses the pronoun to call a fetus (Jeremiah 1:5, Matthew 1:20-21) like calling another person.
8. The Scripture depicts the unborn baby personally and intimately known by God as He knows others (Psalm 139:15-16; Jeremiah 1:5).
9. A fetus is called by God before birth as well (Genesis 25:22-23; Isaiah 49:1,5).
To sum up, a fetus is a person with the image of God. The perspective evidence of modern science shows that a life starts from the moment of his/her conception.
Then comes a question: who has the right to decide to have or not have a baby?
Christianity tells that the right to take and give life belongs to God rather than men because "no man has power over the wind to contain it"(Ecclesiastes 8:8).
And the Bible claims clearly: "Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from him." (Psalm 127:3)
Several questions to ponder
1. What should the student, who is pregnant in cohabitation without finishing the school, do?
2. A wife of a poor migrant-worker family is pregnant, what should be done?
3. How should parents deal with a baby diagnosed with Down's syndrome?
4. If you are a mother has ectopic pregnancy that may endanger your life, what must be done?
5. An unmarried girl becomes pregnant after a rape, should they keep the child?
6. A woman gets pregnant in an incest incident, should she press charges or not?
How should Christians respond to abortion
1. Purse holiness.
In today's society, many people seeking sexual liberation and freedom, have premarital sex and extramarital affairs freely which caused the growth of unwanted pregnancy, leaving them to choose abortion.
The Bible says that "Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed must be kept pure" (Hebrews 13:4) and "all other sins a man commits are outside the body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body" (1 Corinthians 6:18).
2. It matters more that the falling of individual and social morality than abortion itself. Most abortions are done to get rid of the evil fruits of sins or flee from the responsibility of life.
Christians should value life and fear the Lord who makes man in his image and gives life. Control one's sinful desires to be free from sexual immorality.
3. The church should teach the congregation the truth
The church needs to help the congregation, especially men and women, the married and unmarried as well as teenagers to establish the holy and innocent marriage values by providing feasible guidance and teachings in accordance with the Biblical truth regarding real life. Meanwhile, it's necessary for the church to emphasize on keeping holy, pure and pursuing holiness.
4. Counseling and care are needed
The church shall not despise, condemn nor reject the women who have abortion despite holding on to be against abortion, "for God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him".
The church should coach those who have had abortions to help them face the life and solve the mental suffering the abortions bring.
5. Discrimination and immediate judgement shall be avoided.
We should sincerely take care care and help the believers who have made mistakes instead of stirring up more trouble.
We shall love each other who hate sin but also loves sinners.